[Linganth] Substitute x for y

Jonathan Dembling dembling at anthro.umass.edu
Sat Jan 29 16:26:00 UTC 2005

My first experience as an American in a Scottish fish & chip shop ended
with the man asking me if I wanted brown sauce on my haggis & chips. Me:
"What's brown sauce?"  Him: "It's just brown."

But my most disappointing ordering experience was asking for a bitter in
a pub and getting a Miller. (damned alveolar flap!)

Here at home, it took me some time to get my coffee ordering at Dunkin'
Donuts down right. I used to ask for "cream, no sugar", which was
inevitably heard as "cream AND sugar". Then I switched to "JUST cream,
no sugar", but this had no effect (I'm still trying to figure out what
the third ingredient was that they thought I didn't want - this was
before the days of the flavor shot). Finally I've settled into an
effective, if more convoluted, system where I ask for a "coffee with
cream", and wait for the person to ask, "and sugar?" so I can give a
clear shake of the head.

Jonathan