Let's introduce ourselves!

Kephart, Ronald rkephart at unf.edu
Wed Nov 9 21:27:15 UTC 2005

At 3:37 PM -0500 11/9/05, Leila Monaghan wrote:
>The anthropology meetings are coming once again and I realized that it has
>been a long time since we introduced ourselves on this board...

I wish I could be there this time; my wife and I both deeply enjoyed
the meetings in DC (1996?); I think we ate at a Thai restaurant that
time.

My own very brief self-intro: I teach in the newly formed Department
of Sociology and Anthropology at the University of North Florida,
Jacksonville, where I'm in my 17th year. My Phd in anthro is from the
University of Florida (1985). My research has focused on language and
culture on Carriacou, Grenada. I've worked on the structure of
English Creole and its use in literacy. More recently I've been
trying to document the Carriacou variety of French Creole, which is
disappearing rapidly as its fluent speakers pass away. At UNF we have
only a BA program in anthropology; this semester I'm teaching a
senior-level course on Language and Culture, a general intro to
anthropology, and an intro to linguistics for the English department.
I've also had to pick up a course on psychology of language in
mid-semester due to the psychology prof's illness, so at four courses
I'm kinda busy.

I guess that's not as brief as it should have been. Oh well, have an
excellent time in DC, everybody!

Ron