thirty books question

Harriet Ottenheimer mahafan at ksu.edu
Fri Oct 21 19:14:55 UTC 2005

Hello All,

I have agreed to help select the next generation of "books for college
libraries" and in this go-round the editors of the list have decided to
include linguistic anthropology!!!  My task, as a result, is to choose
thirty books which "every" college library should own in the field.  As
I understand it the books should be in print, fairly contemporary
(although I think some classics will probably be allowed), and provide a
basic and representative image of important (and readable?) works in the
field.  One way to think about this is to imagine a very small college
library, which has limited funds, but which can afford to buy thirty
books for its students and faculty to consult in the field of linguistic
anthropology.

My question to all of you is: if you were asked to choose just thirty
linganth books, which ones would you choose?  Which ones would you
consider the most important to include?  Reference works are allowed in
this exercise.  I want to make sure to include books on methodology
(including fieldwork), books on language, culture, and world-view, books
which deal with the various intersections of
language-culture-gender-ethnicity-power, books on origins, evolution,
change, pidgins, and creoles, books on language acquisition/learning,
primate language, sign language, endangered languages, language
revitalization, ethnography of reading, writing systems and literacy,
i.e., the full range of linguistic anthropology.

As I began working on this project I realized that some of you might
want to have some input into the results, so I've decided to ask!  I
guess it's a variant of the 'desert island' kind of question.  Looking
forward to seeing your suggestions.  If anyone cares to have a
compilation of the responses please let me know and I will build one.

All best,

Harriet Ottenheimer