timing patterns in language?

Patrick, Peter L patrickp at essex.ac.uk
Wed Sep 21 15:47:49 UTC 2005

don't know, and would be interested, but am a little dubious -
not that this might exist, but that we know enough to assert it does.

Of course any differences measured would be "down to microsecond
levels", or perhaps "milliseconds" actually, as that is a
standard unit of measurement in phonetic soft-/hardware. But what is
known about the replicability and variability of such patterns
within native-language groups, much less their migrant descendants?
It seems pretty unlikely that enough is known to identify patterns,
much less departures from them... Also, what exactly is being timed
here?
VOT? pause length? pitch peaks? fricative duration? glide duration?
	There is however work contrasting dialects and languages on
features such as rhythmicity, eg pitch-peak delay in stressed vs
unstressed syllables, in an attempt to work out finer measures than
the broad qualitative distinction between stress- and syllable-timed
varieties. I heard an interesting paper of this sort last week from
Laurence White
(http://psychology.psy.bris.ac.uk/people/laurencewhite.htm)
and expect he might be a good person to ask; also Jim Scobbie
(http://www.qmuc.ac.uk/ssrc/staff/jscobbie/Default.htm), who made
illuminating comments.

	-peter p-

Peter L Patrick