Saussure

Leila Monaghan monaghan at indiana.edu
Sun Apr 9 23:30:12 UTC 2006

Don't know whether this is new to you guys but it was news to me--a
copy of Saussure's original manuscript of his work was found in his
summer house in 1996 and has been published in French in 2002, reviewed
by Roy Harris in England in 2002 and will be published by Oxford
University Press this summer.  Turns out that the students transcribing
his lectures got some things wrong.  One big difference seems to be
(according to David McNeill, I haven't been able to get a hold of any
of the below references yet) that Saussure doesn't reject diachronic
analysis entirely and instead talks about the "double essence of
language".  Very Interesting Indeed!

References I have found below,

all best,

Leila

Roy Harris's review:

Harris, R. 2002. Why Words Really Do Not Stay Still. Times Literary
Supplement, July 26, 5182:30.

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/2070761169/qid=1144622407/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_1_2/403-7129791-7654009

http://www.us.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Linguistics/TheoreticalDescriptiveLinguistic/?view=usa&ci=9780199261444

--