Blazing Saddles as cultural critique

Alexander King a.king at abdn.ac.uk
Tue Aug 15 13:00:16 UTC 2006

Kerim,

I'm not sure if Blazing Saddles is the most effective movie for
teaching, but I do think it is one of the most brilliant
deconstructions of racism in the USA I have ever seen in any medium.
I love the concluding scene where the sherriff has gained the
acceptance of the racist town. One leader conceded "We'll take the
niggers and the chinks, but not the Irish," to which the sherriff
holds out for the Irish, too, and they concede to let everybody live
in peace--not only is racism absurd, only a knucklehead would insist
on being racist when confronted with it.

The Yiddish Indian is pretty surreal, but it brings up a talking
point of the common cause (and also common kinships in Texas and
Oklahoma) among Indians and Blacks in Reconstruction era America.
While Brooks is excellent at mocking racism, his take on gender is
not what one would call post-feminst (references to "Kansas City
faries" and "Tutonic Twat," joking about rape). However, his send-up
of Germans in the film could produce a talking point of German
language and culture in rural America in the 19th century, although
Brooks certainly had other motives for mocking Germans in nearly
every film he was making those days.

A problem I see with BS and many other comedies is the use of obscene
language, which produces scandolous hilarity among native speakers,
but can easily get SLL into deep trouble.

What about "Airplane"? Any chance of your students getting the literal humor?

"Darmok" from the 5th season of Star Trek-Next Generation is an
excellent story about learning another culture's metaphors. Picard's
problem isn't linguistic in the narrow sense. The universal
translator works fine, but the alien's speech is mostly references to
mythological heroes and episodes. Thus he has the great
cross-cultural problem of learning another culture's metaphors,
especially important since that culture eshews denotative speech.

best,
Alex

--
University of Aberdeen  http://www.abdn.ac.uk/anthropology