Language-related popular films?

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Tue Aug 15 19:13:06 UTC 2006

Another "classic" (I guess) is "Santa Fe Trail" (1940), which is riddled
with racism, but also has a scene I show my students, where a Native
American woman tells the future. She speaks her own language (we're in
Kansas somewhere), and Olivia de Havilland translates expertly.

I use this to illustrate the "noble savage" idea, as well as the
feminization of language learning (women learn languages; men stand around
and wait for the women to translate, etc. (cf. with The Mummy)) as in
"What's she saying, Kit? You speak the lingo."

Here's some details from the Internet Movie data base:

"The tenor of the times is surely well represented, with moral confusion
and conflict between friends. The most effective scene in the film is the
one where the fortune teller, by the light of a campfire, tells all the
young officers that they will someday fight one another. Their faces
lighted by the flames, they react with nervous astonishment. Hollywood
overlaid this confusion with their own ambivalence, stemming form the fact
that white southerners were viewed as a more significant market than black
audiences. Thus pro slavers are viewed with more sympathy than fanatical
abolitionists and blacks are depicted in an absurd, bug-eyed, "feet don't
desert me now!" fashion that is unwatchable to modern audiences and should
have been to 1940 audiences but apparently wasn't. On top of that, the
1940 nervousness over the coming war is clearly reflected in these
character's attitudes toward the coming war of 1861. I agree that the film
is not pro slavery so much as it's against fanaticism and the John
Brown/bin-Laden comparison some have made seems accurate."

Errol Flynn ....  Jeb Stuart; Olivia de Havilland ....  Kit Carson
Holliday; Raymond Massey ....  John Brown; Ronald Reagan ....  George
Armstrong Custer"

Hal Schiffman