Language-related popular films?

samuels at anthro.umass.edu samuels at anthro.umass.edu
Fri Aug 18 16:29:05 UTC 2006

As long as we're circulating things that we've found useful: the Kid 'n' Play
movies (House Party, Class Act) have much to offer in thinking about the
relationship between race, class, authenticity, and expression (the story's
resolution usually placed in the final co-performance of the two stars). Eddie
Murphy's performance(s) in Bowfinger; and some of the scenes in John Leguizamo's
Mambo Mouth.

Also, I haven't used this because it's quite recent, but Dave Chappelle's
appearance on Inside the Actor's Studio includes a lot of discussion about the
role of language in society and performance.

David