Francophone conference at Yale

Leila Monaghan monaghan at indiana.edu
Mon Dec 4 19:18:21 UTC 2006

Please reply to frenchappearances at yale.edu if interested,

all best,

Leila

Subject: Call For Papers

Hello everyone,
I am on the Organizing and Abstracts Committees for an upcoming
graduate conference at Yale University.  I would like to encourage any
current graduate students who work on any area of French or Francophone
literature and culture to submit an abstract.  I have pasted the Call
For Papers with all relevant information below.  Please do not hesitate
to contact me directly if you have any questions and feel free to
forward the information to any friends or colleagues who might be
interested.
Best,
Jessica

La volonté de paraître:

The Cult and Cultivation of Appearances
in French and Francophone Literature and Culture

23-24 February 2007, Yale University

In an appeal for interdisciplinary contributions from both literary and
cultural horizons, our conference proposes an exploration of
appearances, extravagance, and display.  The topic, encompassing a
varied constellation of related social, economic, and cultural concepts
(ostentation, vanity, excess, taste, style, fashion, sexuality, wealth,
luxury, and social status), raises the following questions:  To what
extent and in what ways have French and Francophone literatures and
cultures constructed, modified, or relayed these notions?  How is
identity communicated visually?  When and how are language, literature,
and art themselves implicated in the cultivation of appearances as a
cultural praxis?  In an exploration of the darker side of glamour and
glitz, we also welcome reflections on the consequences of extravagance.
  What are the financial, social, and personal costs of maintaining a
public image?  What happens to the carefully crafted or groomed subject
when he or she becomes an object on display?  In an effort to fully
examine all that is sumptuous, sensational, sexy, or even scandalous in
the world of appearances, we are inviting interventions across time and
space, literature and culture, philosophy and film, gender and
sexuality.

Presentations should be twenty minutes in length and may be in French
or English; proposals from all periods and disciplines will be accepted.

Please submit abstract (250 words) by email to John Lytle, Chair of the
Abstracts Committee, at the following address:
frenchappearances at yale.edu.  Abstracts are due no later than January
15, 2007.

Possible subtopics may include but are not limited to the following:

-        Medieval largesse.
-        Préciosité and/or persiflage.
-        Salon society.
-        Luxurious interior spaces.
-        Gossip and public reputation.
-        Le petit maître, le dandy.
-        Marie-Antoinette and the court of Versailles.
-        Les grands magasins; appearances, display, and consumption.
-        The performance of ostentation and extravagance.
-        Les maisons de couture.
-        Charcot, Salpêtrière and medical observation of spectacle.
-        Beauty and hypocrisy; glamour as mask.
-        Fashion, social class, and cultural identity in immigrant
communities in France.
-        Splendor and style in film.
-        Backlash; the anti-extravagant; religious reactions to ostentation.

--
Leila Monaghan, PhD
Department of Communication and Culture
monaghan at indiana.edu