Translation

Kerim Friedman oxusnet at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 00:53:55 UTC 2006

First off, a link to the story:

http://tinyurl.com/yy9u4n

Second, the key phrase that explains what the technology involved is:

"Using statistical probability tables built into their software, they
sort through likely word combinations to form phrases and full
sentences."

The use of statistical methods as opposed to rule-based methods has
been a major breakthrough in language translation, and has produced
significant improvements. The gains are most visible in precisely
those languages which are most different from our own and are
therefore hardest to model with rules.

You can test these technologies yourself using Google's language tools:

http://www.google.com/language_tools

Arabic and Chinese are listed as "beta" and are based on the same idea
as what is used by IBM in the news story.

Cheers,

kerim