Jazz is an Irish invention

Jonathan Dembling dembling at anthro.umass.edu
Mon Jul 3 07:47:13 UTC 2006

The connection between Scottish Gaelic and African American line
singing isn't as direct as the articles suggest. It was once a common
practice throughout the English-speaking and Gaelic-speaking Protestant
world (perhaps Welsh-speaking too?), but only survives in these
marginal communities. The only area where there was a Gaelic-speaking
community in the US strong enough to impact outsiders would have been
in the Cape Fear Valley region of North Carolina. That's where Dizzy
Gillespie's family was from - apparently some of his grandparents spoke
Gaelic. Gaelic was spoken in both the black and white churches there
into the 20th century (and lasted longer in the former).

Here are some relevant links to stories and audio clips:

Interview with Gaelic scholar Michael Newton, talking about the
interaction between Gaels and African-Americans in North Carolina:
http://www.ibiblio.org/wunc_archives/sot/index.php?p=436

Commentary on Newton's research:
http://greenespace.blogspot.com/2005/11/afro-celts-and-other-cultural-
cross.html

Juan Williams NPR piece on a gathering of line singers from the US and
Scotland:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4632964

Gaelic line singing audio clips:
http://www.gaelicpsalmsinging.com/audio/

Pieces on Willie Ruff's research into the Gospel-Gaelic connection:
http://www.gms.org.uk/news/04/49.php
http://www.alternatemusicpress.com/features/gospel.html
http://www.sundayherald.com/48330

Cum fionnar, a chait