Jazz is an Irish invention - previous discussion

Patrick, Peter L patrickp at essex.ac.uk
Mon Jul 3 10:27:46 UTC 2006

The Q of whether the American English word "jazz" is derived from the
Irish Gaelic word "teas" was extensively and very heatedly discussed on
the CreoleTalk list some months ago. The list is controlled by Karen
Ellis (whose website is cited below). Ellis, who is not a linguist,
believes in this etymology. I was the main opposing voice, though dozens
of linguists who wrote in to the list, or to me privately, shared my
view that the accepted linguistic methods of establishing a historical
connection were not followed in the argument Ellis has put forward and
publicised.

I don't wish to be further involved in discussing the Q myself, as
Ellis's emails to and about me on the topic struck me and other
list-members as astonishingly vicious, and I became more heated in
response myself than I would have wished. Suffice it to say that I don't
know any linguists, from among the hundreds on that list, who have
stated that they accept her argument as well-founded.

On the other hand, there is undoubtedly loads of interesting Irish and
Scottish influence on and from African American culture in the New World
- this was never questioned. Thanks to Jonathan Dembling esp. for the
fascinating references.
	-peter p-

      Prof. Peter L. Patrick
      Dept. of Language & Linguistics	Tel: +44 (1206)87.2088
      University of Essex			Fax: +44(1206)87.2198
      Wivenhoe Park			patrickp at essex.ac.uk
      Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
      			http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~patrickp