query about graduate schools

Harriet Ottenheimer mahafan at ksu.edu
Sat Jul 22 14:28:38 UTC 2006

Dear All,
I am writing on behalf of a former student of mine who has been out of
the U.S. for several years teaching English in Korea (two years) and
currently teaching at a grade school in the Marshall Islands (one year,
with one more year to go on his contract).  He is doing this, in part,
to save up money for graduate studies in Anthropology.  He did not take
the GRE exams before he left the and it would be difficult for him now
to make arrangements to take the GRE.  Thus he is wondering if there are
any good graduate programs in the U.S. which do not require (or perhaps
might even overlook his lack of) GRE scores.  He is an excellent
student.  He was my Teaching Assistant for Introduction to Linguistic
Anthropology in his senior year at Kansas State University.  Does anyone
know of any good graduate programs in anthropology (in the U.S.) that do
not require GREs?  (He would also consider schools in Australia, New
Zealand, England...)  Can anyone recommend any graduate programs that he
might consider applying to?  I would appreciate your letting me know.
Thanks, in advance,
Harriet Ottenheimer
Professor, Anthropology & American Ethnic Studies (Emerita)
Kansas State University
mahafan at ksu.edu
http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~mahafan