Philadelphische Zeitung, Tolerance for German in early America

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Sat Jun 10 16:13:26 UTC 2006

The other day I mentioned that Benjamin Franklin published a German
edition of his English newspaper (the Pennsylvania Gazette), called the
"Philadelphische Zeitung". I looked for, and finally found, a facsimile of
a page of this paper.  Since it's a rather large bitmap image, I won't
attach it, but it can be viewed here:

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~haroldfs/grafix/PhiladelphischeZeitung.bmp

Here's some more information about it:

 "As many as thirty-eight newspapers printed in the German language
appeared between the years 1732 and 1801. Many of them had a very short
life, among them the first attempt, the fortnightly Philadelphische
Zeitung, a German edition of Benjamin Franklin^s Pennsylvania Gazette."

>From The Cambridge History of English and American Literature in 18
Volumes (1907^21).VOLUME XVIII. Later National Literature, Part III.
XXXI. Non-English Writings I.  6. Eighteenth Century Newspapers.

http://www.bartleby.com/228/0806.html

Hal Schiffman