Philadelphische Zeitung, Tolerance for German in early America

Patrick, Peter L patrickp at essex.ac.uk
Wed Jun 14 11:44:57 UTC 2006

Hal will know this, but those who are new to the english-only
debate may not know that Franklin was in bitter competition with
German-language publishers and wrote rather scurrilously against
the German language, possibly mainly because of his economic interests.
Presumably his German-language paper was meant to bite into their
market?
	-peter p-

Peter L Patrick
Dept of Language and Linguistics