Fwd: RE: Cross-Cultural Diversity Teaching and Assessment

mahafan at ksu.edu mahafan at ksu.edu
Thu Jun 22 01:32:57 UTC 2006

I've done workshops for faculty as well as for off-campus groups
(policemen, for example) but have never done assessments.

You're right that basic cross-cultural examples from ling anth are great
to use.  Lots of examples as well as an introductory (five-ten minutes)
mini-lecture (at least for some off-campus groups) on why one would
want to be sensitive to issues of diversity these days.  Examples from
personal experience are especially good to use (I ended up including as
many of these as I could as sidebars in my textbook as students seem to
gravitate to them too), plus I have found that Michael Agar's
Rich-Points concept (in his 'Language Shock' book) is relatively easy
for most folks to grasp and work with.

Harriet Ottenheimer
Anthropology & American Ethnic Studies
Kansas State University