intro-friendly novels?

samuels at anthro.umass.edu samuels at anthro.umass.edu
Thu Jun 22 22:04:36 UTC 2006

Hi. I would like to use a novel that highlights language and culture issues in my
undergraduate introduction class, and would love to hear any suggestions. I'm
fairly familiar with the science fiction end of things (Babel-17, Languages of
Po, The Inheritors, Riddley Walker, Snowcrash), and the classics that intersect
with that set (Clockwork Orange, 1984). Any others that people have used or would
think of using? Something that emphasizes language socialization (or
resocialization) would be nice.

I'll be happy to compile a bibliography if people contact me off-list.

Thanks!

All best,

David