intro-friendly novels?

Rachel Reynolds rrr at drexel.edu
Tue Jun 27 16:29:30 UTC 2006

I frequently read passages to my students from _Going Home to Teach_ by
Anthony C. Winkler.  Here's the Amazon.com link that has some really great
reviews that can give you the flavor of the book.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9766101523/sr=8-5/qid=1151425275/ref=sr_1_5/102-2833271-2199338?ie=UTF8

Winkler grew up in Kingston, Jamaica as a poor Hungarian immigrant.  In
this book, he returns home with an American wife, professional success and
a college degree to participate in one of Michael Manley's educational
development programs in the countryside.  There are lovely scenes with
students, with administrators, and with people on the streets in Jamaica in
which he negotiates his way into holding authority as an authentic Jamaican
man by code-switching between the Standard American English he has learned
in college, and the Kingston speech with which he grew up.  My students
respond deeply to the passages -- they are funny and sweet and bring home
class/race/educational difference in a quick snapshot.

I wouldn't recommend assigning the whole novel however, since there are
some slightly sexy parts/domestic drama parts that 19 year olds wouldn't
understand or would be confused/grossed out by. (Winkler contrasts his
broken childhood home with his breaking up marriage to the brokenness of
the Jamaican school system). Winkler also uses pastiche beautifully, but it
can easily be (mis)interpreted as stereotype or condescension, especially
towards Jamaican students.

Rachel

At 06:04 PM 6/22/2006 -0400, samuels at anthro.umass.edu wrote:
>Hi. I would like to use a novel that highlights language and culture
>issues in my
>undergraduate introduction class, and would love to hear any suggestions. I'm
>fairly familiar with the science fiction end of things (Babel-17,
>Languages of
>Po, The Inheritors, Riddley Walker, Snowcrash), and the classics that
>intersect
>with that set (Clockwork Orange, 1984). Any others that people have used
>or would
>think of using? Something that emphasizes language socialization (or
>resocialization) would be nice.
>
>I'll be happy to compile a bibliography if people contact me off-list.
>
>Thanks!
>
>All best,
>
>David

Rachel R. Reynolds