Clicks

Alexander King a.king at abdn.ac.uk
Tue Mar 28 09:06:56 UTC 2006

Any connection between genes and phonological features of a language
is patently absurd. Boas deconstructed any serious link between
biology and language in 1911 in his introduction to HAIL. His logic
holds just as well if we replace his term "biology" with "genotypes".
Indeed, it is even stronger, considering contemporary understandings
of the term "biology" are much more expansive than he was using it a
century ago. More recent investigations of the overlap between
genetic populations and linguistic communities continues to report
that even in the case of considerable overlap of these two groups,
there remains substantial variation within the group. The main
problem is that the timescales of genetic evololution and linguistic
change are vastly different.

Other anthropologists working in Southern Africa have attacked the
"ancient gene" model of understanding San biogenetics. This is
dangerously close to putting a very vunerable population just one
short step on the ladder from monkeys and well below whitefolk with
more "modern" genes. There was some discussion of this at the
Conference on Hunters and Gatherers (CHAGS9) in Edinburgh in 2002. I
believe that the "ancient gene" discussion is supposedly based on
evidence that San populations have genes which seem to have
experienced much fewer mutations over the millenia. I cannot assess
that argument, but have heard geneticists attack it based on genetic
science. In any case, their genes are just as "modern" as any other
modern human's! This kind of "ancient gene" talk is vulnerable to
Fabian's critique of the denail of coevalness (a pretty old book
now). We, and our genes, are here in the same time. It's 2006 in the
South African bush just as much in NYC.

-Alex

--
University of Aberdeen  http://www.abdn.ac.uk/anthropology