Clicks

Ronald Kephart rkephart at unf.edu
Tue Mar 28 13:43:36 UTC 2006

At 10:06 AM +0100 3/28/06, Alexander King wrote:

>...I believe that the "ancient gene" discussion is supposedly based
>on evidence that San populations have genes which seem to have
>experienced much fewer mutations over the millenia...

Alexander, thanks for your comments. Actually, I think the argument
is the other way around. In general, people of sub-Saharan Africa
exhibit greater genetic diversity than populations outside Africa,
the result presumably of genetic drift: the migrating populations
were not representative samples of the genetic diversity that existed
in the founding population.

>...This kind of "ancient gene" talk is vulnerable...

Yes, and that's a third issue needing unpacking. So, in that short
sentence that Shreeve wrote...

"The San communicate with clicks to keep from spooking game-- a
feature that is also found in languages spoken by other African
groups who carry ancient DNA markers."

...we now have three complaints/grievances:

(1) The assumption that a phonological feature such as click
consonants is "ancient" because they occur in a population that
(apparently) has a long history as a population;

(2) The assumption that these clicks were (consciously?) adopted as a
way to avoid "spooking game"; and the subgrievance: are clicks really
less "spooky" than other consonants? (To be fair, if there's a
squirrel on my back porch and I make alveolar click sounds, it'll
often sit up and look at me as if trying to figure out what sort of
grotesque squirrel I might be, giving me time to shoot it if I wanted
to*; but if I just say something like, "yo, squirrel!" it'll usually
run off.)

(3) The false notion that the San and other such populations walk
around carrying "ancient" genes (in my intro to anthro class we just
watched an otherwise pretty fair film on the Yanomama in which they
are referred to as a "stone age people").

(Based on my previous experience with NGS, I wonder whether the
"clicks are good for not spooking game" thing could have been
elicited from a San person, as a part of their folk model about their
language, and passed on as fact. I say this because in 1979 NGS
published an article on Grenada in which the author made a ridiculous
characterization of the English Creole spoken there. I happened to be
doing fieldwork in Grenada at that time, and, silly me, I wrote to
correct them. NGS's response was that they had asked a "local expert"
about the language, and that was all they needed. The "local expert"
turned out to be a member of the very small white elite class in
Grenada, many of whom carry around in their heads pretty bizarre folk
models of the nature of the language spoken by people of African
descent.)

Anyway... If anyone thinks of anything else we can drag out of
Shreeve's statement, let me know. I'm preparing a letitor.

Ron

*No squirrels were harmed in the writing of this email.