Clicks

Alexander King a.king at abdn.ac.uk
Tue Mar 28 14:16:55 UTC 2006

Ron,

Thanks for the continuing discussion.

>Alexander, thanks for your comments. Actually, I think the argument
>is the other way around. In general, people of sub-Saharan Africa
>exhibit greater genetic diversity than populations outside Africa,
>the result presumably of genetic drift: the migrating populations
>were not representative samples of the genetic diversity that
>existed in the founding population.

Thanks for the clarification. Does this argument rely on the
assumption that Africa is ground zero? Would one get a different
model if one assumed, just for sake of argument, that ground zero is
south asia or some other place? I will also ask my favorite
geneticists (yes, I know two, one working on flies, the other on
humans).

>Anyway... If anyone thinks of anything else we can drag out of
>Shreeve's statement, let me know. I'm preparing a letitor.

If you're writing to NGS, can I suggest the obvious point that San
people have been subject to genocide (i.e., shooting all the men,
women, and children) by both white settlers and black
agriculturalists over the last 150 years, and this was justified by
the subhuman or primitive status of San/Bushmen/Hottentots?

best,
Alex
--
University of Aberdeen  http://www.abdn.ac.uk/anthropology