Clicks

Ronald Kephart rkephart at unf.edu
Tue Mar 28 15:05:24 UTC 2006

At 3:16 PM +0100 3/28/06, Alexander King wrote:

>Thanks for the clarification. Does this argument rely on the
>assumption that Africa is ground zero? Would one get a different
>model...

Alexander, I think it's the other way around. The assumption is that
the greatest genetic diversity (they use neutral mutations) would be
exhibited in the population that had been in place for the longest
period of time, hence Africa as the starting point. Of course, the
fossil and archeological records also support this, with the oldest
remains of anatomically modern humans coming from Africa, so you have
different lines of evidence coming together.

>If you're writing to NGS, can I suggest the obvious point that San
>people have been subject to genocide...

Will do.

Ron