Clicks

Martin Walsh kisutu at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 28 16:08:58 UTC 2006

The use-of-clicks to-avoid-spooking-game argument (and more) appeared in:

Knight, A. et al. 2003. African Y chromosome and mtDNA divergence provides
insight into the history of click languages. Current Biology 13: 464-473.

And is discussed critically in:

Guldemann, T. undated. Clicks, genetics, and "proto-world" from a linguistic
perspective. [a pdf of which can be found online with a quick google]

The whole of TG's paper is of relevance, but see especially #5.1 'A cultural
advantage of click phonemes?'.

Martin Walsh
Department of Social Anthropology
University of Cambridge