Linguistic Anthropology DVDs?

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Sat May 13 20:04:25 UTC 2006

I have taught a course called "Language and Popular Culture" for about 10
years now and use movies a lot.  Some have just the "moments" but I also
have some that are more extensive.  Anybody who wants to see what I have
can consult the website for this course at:

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~haroldfs/popcult/syllabus.html

I have some links there to movies about language and "disability",
deafness, non-standard language use, etc.

I have been asked by somebody at Oxford UP if I would write a textbook for
this topic, and I have agreed to do s.t. in a year or two when other
projects are done with.  But how I will link to the images and clips I
have on the topic is another question.  I currently keep all the images
and clips on a server that is accessible from the course link, but for
longer movie clips, I found it easier to keep them on my laptop, because
when I want to run them, it runs faster than from the Penn "moviemogul"
server.  So these clips won't run from the website (things like "Dances
with Wolves", "Phenomenon:, "ID4", lots of sci-fi stuff (Star Wars) plus
bits and pieces of other things...

Hal Schiffman