assumptions and arguments about "facts" as universal categories

Alexander King a.king at abdn.ac.uk
Wed May 17 11:11:11 UTC 2006

Dear Larry,

My initial email contained no argument, so I find it odd that you
bring up the need for arguments and evidence. My qualification of
"fallacy of 'facts' as autonomous" as being American and/or possibly
Anglophone is merely based on the assumption that my/our cultural
categories are probably not universal unless there is strong evidence
to suggest otherwise, whereas you seem eager to assume that it is
universal unless there is evidence to the contrary. One thing I take
from Whorf is that it is not a good idea to assume that cognitive
categories which seem as "matter of fact" to SAE speakers are matter
of fact to speakers of other "exotic" languages. Maybe they are,
maybe not. Indeed, one might want to argue (I am only speculating
here) that the grammatical category of evidentiality indicates a
special problematization of knowledge and facts and points to an
underlying (common sense) assumption that all knowledge and facts
need to be contextualized and are partial, persepctival and
incomplete. That is certainly not common sense in mainstream America.

With respect to Memento itself, I think you too quickly dismiss
questions and problems raised in the film. The ontological status of
memory is a key question. Does the protaganist (Leonard) "have" any
memories after the accident? That is a question that Nolan poses
without an easy answer. While the protagonist knows that he has
tatooed himself, is there realy a coherent "self" at work in these
different periods? Without the continuity of context and memories of
contexts, is the Leonard really the same person in the first scene
(the conclusion of the story) as he is in the last scene? Would he
have such a strong motivation to murder if he didn't regard the
tatoos on his body as symbols of established facts which are in some
sense independent of him? The continuity of self that Leonard himself
recognizes is his own handwriting. The reification is not an artefact
of his condition, but a graphic symbolization of the autonomous
agency that he and his culture generally (and mine, too)
unconsciously attribute to Facts and Truth. The power of Truth and
the dangers of misunderstanding/misusing/toying with Truth is a theme
that Nolan revists in his subsequent film Insomnia, and I have heard
Chris Nolan say as much in an interview.

-Alex

--
University of Aberdeen  http://www.abdn.ac.uk/anthropology
            Koryaks Net  http://www.koryaks.net