New book

Leila Monaghan monaghan at indiana.edu
Mon Nov 20 19:54:17 UTC 2006

Hi,

Jane Goodman & I are happy to announce the publication of our new
collection of readings, A Cultural Approach to Interpersonal
Communication, just published by Blackwell.  It was designed to give
students the theoretical and methodological tools to do their own
transcription-based ethnographies and includes short pieces on how to
read difficult texts, how to do transcription and a wide range of
ethnographies that reflect young adult language practices including
work by Richard Bauman, Mary Bucholtz, Robert Garot, Scott Kiesling,
Elinor Ochs, Harriet Ottenheimer, Deborah Tannen, Jim Wilce and many,
many others.  We were particularly interested in language practices the
typical student might find in naturally occurring conversations among
their own friends and family such as variation by gender, ethnicity and
region, and slang and swearing.

http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/contents.asp?ref=9781405125949&site=1

all best,

Leila