Endangered languages

R Senghas Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu
Wed Oct 4 10:09:43 UTC 2006

Interesting piece.  Thanks for sending it our way.  However, I didn't
see it as a clear expression that it doesn't matter if diversity
disappears.  It seemed to me that Michaels was implying that diversity
would probably still occur, but that there will inevitably be language
shift and change, and that it's silly to wring our hands over the
problem (or waste resources, I assume), whether from a chauvinistic
position of any particular language (in this case English), or from one
that wishes to preserve or encourage any and all languages.

I do notice, however, that in nearly all language diversity
conversations, including this one, little is mentioned about
recognition of newly-forming languages (i.e., creoles).  I also notice
that little seems to be mentioned about languages becoming stable in
adult-only populations.  Many languages have, for generations, been
learned by adolescents or adults, and spoken only by adults.  These
languages often serve ritual functions, but may also simply be products
(and mediums) of adult institutions.

One thing I was glad to see was that Michaels DIDN'T actually say, at
least in this particular piece, that these languages (and their
accompanying sociocultural phenomena) shouldn't be be *studied.*  Now
that would be something I would definitely have to argue against!  I
hope his conclusions leave room for those who, in effect, adopt
multiple languages as "our language" [note his use of the singular],
whether as languages for daily use or languages for the study of human
variation and possibility.

-Richard