Endangered languages

Alexandre Enkerli enkerli at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 14:56:34 UTC 2006

Actually, in my mind, this article could be fairly useful as a tool to
get people (say, students and colleagues) to talk about language
diversity.
While Michaels's piece wouldn't work as a scholarly analysis of the
phenomenon, it's rather effective at bringing together some of the
issues that many people have on their minds, at least in the United
States (and, to a certain extent, here in Canada). Despite all its
flaws (and there are many), the New York Times is often seen as
somehow representative of "mainstream culture" in the United States.
In this respect, Michaels's article is more appropriate than many
others (including many in the NYT)

Of course, it's far from perfect.
Absent from the piece is the issue of multilingualism. Michaels seems
to assume that the generational pattern will always remain monolingual
(Spanish) to bilingual (Spanish and English) to monolingual (English).
Certainly, it's a rather frequent pattern among immigrant groups in
North America. But why would that mean that bilingualism is
"unstable?" Who is to say that North America won't become like other
parts of the world with long histories of stable multilingualism?

Richard's comment about new languages is spot on, IMHO. If we're to
follow the biological metaphor often used when discussing language
diversity, we should certainly talk about language birth, instead of
limiting ourselves to language death. Language diversity, like
biological diversity, might be declining overall, but new language
"species" are being born out of contacts and that is part of the
equation. In fact, we could use the distinction between "natural" and
"artificial" languages to get people to think about social dynamics
within and between speech communities.
Michaels is careful to avoid some of the biological bias and his
"train robbery" analogy reveals an interesting perspective on
languages as resources. One of his points is that people are still
allowed to speak their native languages, whether or not those
languages have any value in the overall market. Replacing a biological
metaphor with a market-based approach is merely shifting the focus.
Yet that shift might be significant, at least heuristically and
pedagogically.

As others have pointed out, Michaels's perspective is mostly about
national and official languages. Like many others, Michaels focuses on
political issues related to language. Yet he avoids the typical "if
Latinos want to live in our country, they should speak English and
abandon Spanish." You probably all remember the controversy over the
"This is America: speak English" sign in a Philadelphia sandwich shop.
In such a context, Michaels's piece is kind of refreshing.
Michaels even pays lip-service to the issue of language identity
saying, as some of our colleagues have been saying, that language loss
doesn't necessarily imply culture loss or identity loss.

IMHO, Michaels's piece could make for good reading material in some of
our classes. We just need to contextualise it and make sure we have
time for discussion.

--
Alexandre, in Montréal (Québec)
http://enkerli.wordpress.com/