Imus flap

Susan Ervin-Tripp ervintripp at berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 12 02:27:26 UTC 2007

When my son was 14, and we were on sabbatical in Europe, he used to
address his
sister, in a friendly tone, as "bitch". It was the era of busing in
Berkeley, and I knew
what he was doing, so I only wondered whether the English neighbors
would think
ill of us.

Now the Imus event.
Does anyone have an opinion on whether there would have
been such a dust-up if the same words had been said on a shock-jock
program
by a famous African American rapper?  i.e. is it what he said or is it
who said it
and where?  I just don't have enough experience to know.

Evidently Imus' staff goad him into being a in full shocking mode so he
will
say things that will amaze his audience to that program. Since the
whole thing
only increases audience, to the benefit of his employers, is anybody
taking bets
on how long he will be silenced? The disapproval of some commercial
advertisers
has had a major effect in the short run.

Anyway, it is a serious sociolinguistic event that deserves some
attention.

Susan Ervin-Tripp