Query on Literacy

Chad Douglas Nilep Chad.Nilep at colorado.edu
Fri Apr 27 15:28:01 UTC 2007

The Sino-Japanese word 文化 "culture" is formed with characters meaning WRITING+CHANGE, which may be thought of as "becoming literate." This might relate to the concept you mention, 'both knowledge of the writing system and being "cultured,"' though I don't actually speak Mandarin.

Still, I would caution against making too much of this without investigating the responses of literate native speakers. It's possible that Japanese speaker/writers think about a connection between "culture" and "writing," but it's also possible that they don't.

Similarly, it's possible that English speakers are affected by two historical senses, "ability to write" and "knowledge of (Latin?)." Then again, as a native speaker of English, I was not conciously aware of these reputed historical senses. (Personally, I relate "computer literacy" et al. to the "cultural literacy" movement of the 1980s, which at the time I understood as a metaphor.)

You may have an historical argument - two senses of "literacy" have persisted and to some extend diverged over the centuries - but I'm less sure there's a synchronic story to tell.

Chad D. Nilep
Linguistics
University of Colorado at Boulder
Anthropology