Scary

Ronald Kephart rkephart at unf.edu
Fri Aug 31 20:02:08 UTC 2007

Here's one of the questions from the pretest in my Intro to Anthro class:

Many African Americans in the United States speak Ebonics, also called
African American English. Ebonics is:
Answers                                              Percent Answered
a sign of linguistic deprivation.            40%
a perfectly normal human language.     31.429%
a sign of cognitive deficit.                       8.571%
an indication of educational deficit.     20%

Should we just be happy that nearly a third picked the "right" answer?