classroom demo/video ideas for pronouns?

Ellen L. Contini-Morava elc9j at cms.mail.virginia.edu
Sat Feb 3 17:50:33 UTC 2007

Hello, I don't know of a video on this, but Shakespeare has a lot of
switching between "you" and "thou" which I've used to illustrate T/V
switching in a context that's usually familiar to students.  Some good
examples in As You Like It, e.g. in Act I, Scene 3 between Duke Frederick
and Rosalind, the daughter of his banished brother, who has been living in
his house because she is his daughter Celia's friend:

Duke:  Mistress, dispatch you with your safest haste
    And get you from our court.
Rosalind:  Me, uncle?
Duke:  You, cousin.  Within these ten days if that thou beest found
    So near our public court as twenty miles,
    Thou diest for it.

and later in the same scene, between the Duke Celia, who protests against
Rosalind's banishment:

Duke:  Thou art a fool: she robs thee of thy name;
    And thou wilt show more bright and seem more virtuous
    When she is gone. Then open not thy lips:
    Firm and irrevocable is my doom
    Which I have pass'd upon her; she is banish'd.

Celia:  Pronounce that sentence then on me, my liege:
    I cannot live out of her company.

Duke:  You are a fool.

Still later in the same scene, between Celia and Rosalind, as Celia begs
Rosalind to take her along into exile:

Celia:  Thou hast not, cousin;
    Prithee be cheerful: know'st thou not, the duke
    Hath banish'd me, his daughter?

Rosalind:  That he hath not.

Celia:  No, hath not? Rosalind lacks then the love
    Which teacheth thee that thou and I am one:
    Shall we be sunder'd? shall we part, sweet girl?
    No: let my father seek another heir.
    Therefore devise with me how we may fly,
    Whither to go and what to bear with us;
    And do not seek to take your change upon you,
    To bear your griefs yourself and leave me out;
    For, by this heaven, now at our sorrows pale,
    Say what thou canst, I'll go along with thee.

Ellen