Cliches

Alexandre Enkerli enkerli at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 18:16:12 UTC 2007

A few notes.
Can't remember which episode it was (some time during Fall 2005) but
The Word Nerds had a podcast episode on clichés:
http://thewordnerds.libsyn.com/
http://thewordnerds.org/
They also sounded much more like prescriptivists than they usually do.
Something tells me that U.S. language ideology gives clichés a moral
connotation, especially when discussed by teachers.

Language Log has some very insightful things to say about the issue of
use of our work by journalists. Their conclusion is usually that we
should put more content in public view.
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/%7Emyl/languagelog/archives/001961.html

Getting people not to think prescriptively is very difficult but can
be done. My wife did it recently in a course on oral communication.
Not sure how she did it.
Analysis of specific clichés and/or of the term «cliché» is probably
what they expect anyway. It is pretty much what the Word Nerds usually
do and it serves a purpose.
Telling people about the "technical" definition of "cliché" is a bit
dangerous as it's easy to sound out of touch with common language use.
Even in class, it can be a tricky strategy ("when we use the term
'tribe' in anthropology, we usually mean a very specific type of
political structure"). I must admit, it might be my own failings, but
I still have a hard time with some of these situations, even in the
classroom. Outside the classroom, I sometimes get negative reactions.
And not just because people think I'm a geek...
Functional and metaphorical analyses of clichés can be fascinating to
almost anyone (think Lakoff) and may easily sidestep the whole
"pedantic prescriptivist" issue. With a few good examples from
political discourse (Silverstein's analysis of Lincoln and Bush must
contain some). Local usage, if well-known, could titillate regional
pride.

Please do report back on how it went and, if possible, post links to
any content coming out of it!

--
Alexandre
http://enkerli.wordpress.com/