Cliches

Alexandre Enkerli enkerli at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 18:36:24 UTC 2007

Jim,
Thanks a lot for those ideas and references.
Important links made between language ideology, author status,
intertextuality, interdiscursivity, indexicality, philosophy of
language, power relationships, improvisation, tradition as
continuity...

Equivalent ideas work extremely well in music, especially in
situations in which small, easy to remember units ("motifs," "licks,"
"quotes") are highly valued. While Jazz improvisation might be an
obvious case for such "musical clichés," is there really anything
preventing us from thinking about oral-formulaic theory in similar
terms?

Most of these have become quite prominent in folkloristics, over the
years. Especially among those who follow the lines through performance
theory. What might be surprising to some is that such an approach is
quite compatible with Stith Thompson's notion of "motif" (as opposed
to "type") in fairy-tales.

Stimulating ideas indeed.

Thanks again!

Alex