Cliches

Leila Monaghan monaghan at indiana.edu
Mon Feb 5 15:33:29 UTC 2007

Interesting discussion on clichés.  May I steal it for the blog?

I once took a short summer course from Kon Kuiper on formulaic
language, and I’ve been fascinated by his ideas ever since.  In this
case, his ideas give a sense of the context for clichés. He looks at
formulaic language from a number of different perspectives including
changing Chinese greetings and in settings where language use is
restricted by limitations of time—service encounters, sports announcing
(particularly horse racing) and auctioneers.  In a service encounter
(for example, checking out at a supermarket), he describes the overall
interaction, how there is a greeting, an optional conversation, a
totaling of purchases, the giving of a price, the payment, and then a
closing.  He describes one cashier as being particularly fluent, able
to carry on brief conversations with customers while getting through
all the other stages of the interaction.

While this interaction is familiar to all of us, I think it is
interesting that it isn’t seen as clichéd.  In this setting (and as Kon
would argue, in many others) formulaic language is the norm.  As Alex
and Timothy point out, in French, there also seems to be less stigma
attached to clichéd language as well.  What this implies for me is that
there is a language ideology in English that specific kinds of language
use, language in specific and public settings such as writing or public
speaking, where newness and originality is valued.  As with other
specific linguistic practices, individuals need to be socialized into
this one. My grandmother told a story about her English boarding school
experiences c. World War I. She and the other young ladies of her
school were instructed when eating meals, and presumably practicing
polite conversations, to never use the same word twice.  I suspect this
didn’t include articles, helping verbs and connectors but did include
less common verbs and nouns.

A website from a graduate course of Kon’s has a number of good
references on his formulaic language work.
http://wwwlot.let.uu.nl/GraduateProgram/LotSchools/Winterschool2003/cdKuiper.htm

Going along with the idea of context being important in understanding
the use of clichés, the New York Times had an article on Sunday, “The
Racial Politics of Speaking Well” about African American suspicions
about the use of the term “articulate,” particularly when applied to
Barak Obama rather than to Al Sharpton.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/04/weekinreview/04clemetson.html?_r=1&ref=weekinreview&oref=slogin

(Connected to this is the discussion with the African American
community about Obama’s candidacy for president:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/02/us/politics/02obama.html)

cheers, Leila

(Note: NY Times articles require free registration)

--
Leila Monaghan, PhD
Department of Communication and Culture
monaghan at indiana.edu