The Nine Lives of "Linguistic Deficiency"

Alexandre Enkerli enkerli at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 14:44:10 UTC 2007

Speaking of social inequality and language proficiency as described by media...

Seems very tangential but there's a BBC documentary on Omega-3 that
ran here in Quebec recently. They did an experimental study on the
influence of increased Omega-3 diets on the abilities of school
children. Language skills were an important part of the positive
results they wanted to put forth and, IIRC, they quoted figures on
memorised vocabulary. One would assume that better diet is a more
common feature of wealthier families. Genes may not count but maybe
diet does! ;-)

Larger point:
Is it just me or is there a tendency to equate language proficiency
(especially passive vocabularies and other quantitative measures) with
educational success?
What I mean is, isn't it possible that a kind of "verbal bias" might
affect the perception of students who could be really good in, say.
mathematics but need to wade through normative language from which
their vernacular may be relatively far?

I'm mostly thinking about a student my father had, a number of years
ago (7th grade class for students with learning disabilities, tough
environment in a suburb of Montreal). Officially labeled as having
some intellectual deficiencies (actually, like myself, at birth).
Deemed to be doomed. Came from a nurturing, peaceful, working-class
environment. Had been sheltered all his life. Somehow, my father
(trained in dyslexia) noticed that his main problem had to do with
reading skills. He could read but didn't understand much of what he
was reading. Turns out, his skills in maths were well above par. But
because many math problems were spelled out as "practical exercises,"
he couldn't shine. So my father took it upon himself to make sure this
student would improve his reading skills, which was relatively easy,
with a few simple methods. In the end, this student became a college
professor after having done some training in forestry and finished
graduate school in Fine Arts.

Sure, anecdotal. Statistically insignificant. Blatant plug for
dedicated teachers in tougher neighbourhoods. But the point is: are
education-minded people (journalists, parents, government officials,
teachers) counting on language too much?
To me, the point goes well with all those discussions (in the United
States) about schools using Spanish or Ebonics versus the whole "if
only they knew how to read and write English" side.
Might be going too far, here. Yet, since Labov, Eckert, and even
Pullum, seems to me like things haven't changed that much.

I'd *love* to be proven wrong!

--
Alexandre
http://enkerli.wordpress.com/