The Nine Lives of "Linguistic Deficiency"

R Senghas Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu
Fri Feb 9 11:21:01 UTC 2007

On 9 Feb 2007, , at 1:29 AM, John McCreery wrote:
> Given the choice between taking steps suggested by the language
> ideologies now current among linguistic anthropologists and the future
> welfare of my daughter, this conscientious teacher did what
> Alexandre's father did, chose to focus on the future welfare of the
> child for whom she felt responsible. I am grateful to her for that
> choice.

John,

Likely unintentionally, I fear that this sort of response
mischaracterizes the language ideology work I see in anthropology.
Very few of the anthropologists who focus on language ideologies (i.e.,
those I know or work with, which have been quite a few) deny the social
implications involved when an individual adopts or resists prevailing
prescriptions.  In fact, these language ideology folks (including me)
are trying to make explicit that these are indeed (often subconscious,
but often conscious) moral choices, or choices of social marking and
identity.  What we are fighting is the perpetuation of false
"scientific explanations" that one language is superior to another, is
"more linguistic" than another, etc.  (Ron's "whack-a-mole" description
feels all too appropriate!)  We are also fighting the stereotypes that
usually deny the cognitive and other human qualities that linguistic
minority speakers have, but qualities that they aren't acknowledged as
having, because of the false stereotypes associated with those in
subordinate social positions (for whatever reasons).

By explicitly labelling language ideologies, describing them and
developing accurate explanations of how and why they work (i.e. proper
theorizing), language ideology folks provide a very useful service to
society as a whole, and to those individuals who are encountering
challenges along the way.  "Why do people keep treating me like I am
stupid when I know I am not?" or "Why do they act as if they don't
understand me at all when I know that they at least understand some of
what I say?" or "Why don't they seem to care?" --these questions can be
answered by such anthropological approaches.

We don't write or speak in certain ways simply because that is the only
way that works.  We do so for all kinds of reasons, social, cultural,
psychological, linguistic, etc.  These are choices made by society, and
by being more informed, we increase our options.  Having more options
is useful for both the teachers and the learners.

-RJS

Richard J Senghas  (Professor of Anthropology, Sonoma State U,
California)
Visiting Researcher, Institutionen för nordiska språk
Stockholms universitet
S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Richard.Senghas at nordiska.su.se
Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu