The Nine Lives of "Linguistic Deficiency"

Alexandre Enkerli enkerli at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 15:44:38 UTC 2007

Seems many of us are language scientists who end teaching education
students how to conceive of language in a broader way...

In a way, it's almost manipulative of us. We're ostensibly teaching
them "descriptive linguistics" yet we're trying to get them outside of
a mold we perceive them to be in.
Hal's examples seem appropriate. If an education student groks the
issue of "non-normative but grammatical," there's hope for us. And if
they end up thinking of language diversity as more of a blessing than
a curse (Babel?), the language education policies they might end up
writing or applying could become more realistic, from a language
scientist's perspective.

To me, it does have a lot to do with pedagogy in general. It was (and
still is, actually) a shock to me when people talk about "A students"
(as in "A+ student" but with an obvious determiner joke). Some
teachers even seem to see their job as one of evaluating performance
instead of taking the role of "learning helpers." Because language
proficiency in the normative is so essential a "skill," there can
literally be discrimination against some people whose linguistic
performance is evaluated as inadequate.
Because I like anecdotes... My handwriting has always been deemed
illegible. In 9th grade, a teacher in Honours French looked at my
first assignment and *assumed* I had been put in the wrong class. He
observed me the following day, looking for signs that I was mentally
disabled. I eventually became friends with him and he considered me a
"good student." If I had not fit in his idea of "good students" in any
other way besides my handwriting, he'd have written me off.

I want my students, several of whom might become teachers, to
understand the role language might play in pedagogy.

And I do agree that we're often not careful in the way we approach this.

--
Alexandre
http://enkerli.wordpress.com/