Does ASL fulfill your university/college Foreign Language Requirement?

Kephart, Ronald rkephart at unf.edu
Wed Feb 21 18:26:54 UTC 2007

On 2/21/07 12:42 PM, "Jennifer Dickinson" <jennifer.dickinson at uvm.edu>
wrote:

> 1.  Does your university/college have a foreign language requirement, how
> many semesters/credits is it, and can students take ASL to satisfy the
> requirement?

The state of Florida has a foreign language requirement, and so does our
College of Arts and Sciences. American Sign Language is among the languages
that fulfills these requirements. The state requirement is two sequential
years of the same language at the high school level, or 8-10 semester hours
at the college level. The College requirement can only be met at the college
level. Students who already know a language other than English can test out
of these requirements (I frequently do the testing for languages that
there's no test for, like Igbo, Cambodian, Amharic, Haitian Kreyol, etc.).

The only recommendation I can think of for anyone who disagrees that ASL
should "count" is: take a linguistics course or, and this might be better
yet, take ASL!

Ron