Does ASL fulfill your university/college Foreign Language Requirement?

Barbara LeMaster lemaster at csulb.edu
Wed Feb 21 18:53:07 UTC 2007

> 3.  Can you recommend good resources that discuss Deaf culture(s) as
> distinct from mainstream American culture, and that would be
> accessible to a non-linguist/non-anthropologist reader?

The website I gave you refers to ASL moreso than Deaf culture.  Here
are a couple of websites you might check out.
www.deafculture.com

I like this website a lot - but there is some confusion ultimately over
culture versus community.

Here is another website with cultural information:

www.aslinfo.com/deafculture.cfm

Here is a good website maintained in Germany - has ASL/Deaf culture
refs as well

www.sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de

You can also contact Dr. Lawrence Fleischer at CSUN, Chair of Deaf
Studies, who could either provide references or refer you to someone
who could.

lawrence.fleischer at csun.edu

Hope that helps.

Barbara
> ----
> Jennifer Dickinson
> Assistant Professor
> Dept. of Anthropology
> University of Vermont

Dr. Barbara LeMaster
Professor
Departments of Anthropology and Linguistics
FO3-320
California State University, Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840