[Linguistic Anthropology] Tones and Genes

Alexandre enkerli at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 19:08:59 UTC 2007

[http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/0610848104v1]
I hope we can have a thoughtful discussion about this. Right up our
alley (diversity, nurture/nature, migrations, prehistory...).Linguistic
tone is related to the population frequency of the adaptive haplogroups
of two brain size genes, ASPM and Microcephalin(Dediu and Ladd,
10.1073/pnas.0610848104 -- Proceedings of the National Academy of
Sciences)Heard about it through a Canadian science podcast, with Ladd
being interviewed about their research. What I liked was that he was
careful not to make the results sound too conclusive or the potential
determinism too strict.Dediu and Ladd have also put a special page up
to prevent misunderstandings.

--
Posted By Alexandre to Linguistic Anthropology at 6/03/2007 01:50:00 PM