bibliographic query about meanings and ideologies of accent

Alan Rumsey alan.rumsey at anu.edu.au
Fri Jun 8 14:08:26 UTC 2007

Related to the current discussion of accent on this list, but arising
from another source, I have a query about writings on the meanings /
ideological refractions of 'accent'. I am asking this on behalf of a
bright Thai student who has done good work on pop music in Burma that is
composed and performed by singers from the Shan region who pronounce
and sing in Burmese with a Shan (northern-Thai-like) accent. This is
apparently a big factor in their reception by 'mainstream'  Burmans, who
find it 'simple', 'cute', etc. The student is looking for theoretical
frameworks in terms of which to understand this. I am going to refer her
to Irvine and Gal's marvelous stuff on iconization, fractal recursivity
and erasure, but can any of you refer me to work that has been
specifically on 'accent' within that framework, or another
anthropologically sophisticated one? (A huge among of variationist
sociolinguistics has of course been about 'accent' in some sense, but
tends to under-interpret it from an anthropological viewpoint).

Thanks in advance for your help on this one.

Alan

Alan Rumsey
Senior Fellow, Dept. of Anthropology
Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies
Australian National University
Canberra, ACT 0200
Australia
http://rspas.anu.edu.au/people/personal/rumsa_ant.html