accent reduction

Alejandro Paz apaz at uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 8 18:14:17 UTC 2007

I agree with Chad that the students interviewed aren't directly quoted with
strong statements of the ideology of correctness as a display of
(self-)control and communicative efficiency. But I disagree that these
statements come exclusively from the reporter. They seem to come mostly from
two of the coaches interviewed, although clearly the reporter's "objective"
voice and that of these coaches converge at several points in both subtle
and not so subtle ways.

First there's Mr. Loxley's voice:

Mr. Loxley said speaking English correctly allows "people to look at you
like you're a leader and your ideas count." His clients, he explained, are
"educated and brilliant people but they're having trouble making themselves
understood."
Mr. Loxley said that people once viewed accent reduction as "an attack on
heritage," but that is less the case now.
His clients, he said, "are very good at their jobs; they just want to be
better."
[this ends the article]

Then there's Ms. Ravin's voice, which is a little more difficult to
describe:

Her goal, she said, is "to make people independent." [is this independent in
the sense of teaching materials, or the independence of speaking "clearly"?]

Given their present positions, the immigrant students are presumably of the
professional elites of the countries from whence they came, and therefore
it's not surprising they don't display the same kind of linguistic
insecurity with respect to the American standard as, say, the
upwardly-mobile New Yorkers cited in a similar NYT article from about 25
years ago, which Michael Silverstein takes up as one example in a piece from
CLS 35 (1999). There, the students of "accent reduction" are native New
Yorkers, trying to attain middle class status, but worried that their
non-standard "New York accent" makes them sound working class.

The interviewed immigrants of elite backgrounds in this NYT article are
certainly worried about speaking "clearly", but their professional expertise
is based on other kinds of knowledge (and they don't come from working class
backgrounds, it seems). But perhaps interactional performance can start to
get in the way of other goals. One wonders if, as they try to move up the
corporate ladder, they need to be able to mitigate their foreignness in
certain contexts. Or, speaking closer to the standard, in the terms Mr.
Loxley uses, "allows "people to look at you like you're a leader"."

If anyone wants the full citation for the Silverstein piece, here it is:
Silverstein, M. (1999). NIMBY Goes Linguistic: Conflicted 'Voicings' from
the Culture of Local Language Communities. Papers From the Regional
Meetings, Chicago Linguistic Society, 35(2), 101-123.

Alejandro
Alejandro Paz
PhD student
Anthropology & Linguistics