Ellen L. Contini-Morava elc9j at cms.mail.virginia.edu
Sun Mar 4 16:15:08 UTC 2007

Dear Jennifer,

I meant to reply to your inquiry about ASL as a foreign language but got
swamped by dept. tasks so didn't get around to it.  Among other things, I
wrote a successful proposal for having ASL count at the U of Virginia back
in 1998, which is linked to our ASL website
(http://artsandsciences.virginia.edu/asl/t8.html).  One reason I didn't
send that link is that the footnote links don't work and I couldn't find
the original file to send you instead.

But I forwarded your response summary to my colleague Chris Krentz,
Director of the U.Va. ASL Program, and he sent me some more references that
you might find useful (see below).  Interestingly, Chris says he gave a
lecture at the U of Vermont in 2005 on ASL as a foreign language and met
with your Provost at that time.  So maybe we will wind up having played a
role in your efforts!

all the best,

Ellen
**************************************

Ellen Contini-Morava
Chair, Anthropology Department   phone +1 (434) 924-6825
P.O. Box 400120                  fax   +1 (434) 924-1350
University of Virginia           email:  elc9j at virginia.edu
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4120
USA

==============

CRITICAL SOURCES ON AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE

Valli, Clayton, and Ceil Lucas, The Linguistics of American Sign Language.
Washington, D.C.: Gallaudet UP, 1992.

DEAF CULTURE

Lane, Harlan, Robert Hoffmeister, and Ben Bahan. A Journey into the
DEAF-WORLD. San Diego: Dawn Sign Press, 1996.

Padden, Carol, and Tom Humphries. Inside Deaf Culture. Cambridge: Harvard
UP, 2005.

ASL LITERATURE

Bauman, H.-Dirksen L., Jennifer L. Nelson, and Heidi M. Rose, ed. Signing
the Body Poetic: Essays on American Sign Language Literature. Berkeley: U
of California P, 2006.

DEAF HISTORY

Baynton, Douglas C.  Forbidden Signs: American Culture and the Campaign
against Sign Language. Chicago: U. of Chicago Press, 1996.

Burch, Susan.  Signs of Resistance: American Deaf Cultural History, 1900 to
World War II.  New York and London: New York UP.  2002.

Joyner, Hannah. From Pity to Pride: Growing Up Deaf in the Old South.
Washington, DC: Gallaudet UP, 2004.

Van Cleve, John Vickrey, ed. Deaf History Unveiled: Interpretations from
the New Scholarship. Washington, DC: Gallaudet UP, 1993.