"That's so gay" controversy

Greta Vollmer greta.vollmer at sonoma.edu
Sat Mar 10 18:10:21 UTC 2007

Hi, all...

I'm wondering if you can offer any references for research into
contemporary teen slang, and in particular the use of "that's so gay" as a
derogatory term, or the extensive use of faggot as an insult.  I've been
asked to comment on a recent controversy in a local high school in which a
student was reprimanded for using the expression and the district is now
being sued.  I have my own thoughts on the case, obviously, but I'd like
to know if you know of any good studies I can bring to bear in the
discussion.

Thanks,
Greta

Greta Vollmer