"That's so gay" controversy

Greta Vollmer greta.vollmer at sonoma.edu
Mon Mar 12 13:32:02 UTC 2007

Thanks, all for a very helpful discussion. And the references.  I already
did my radio gig on this, and made a point very similar to Peter's
argument, below (although not quite as eloquently).  In the case in
question, the high school student's use of ""that's so gay" was in the
common sense (in teen slang) of "that's lame or stupid" (a usage that the
OED documents back to the 1980s).   I tried to make the point that we are
not "in control" of the meanings of words and expressions; our intent is
not the only determiner,  its reception in a given social context
depending on other factors.  And those who claim otherwise are naive (in
the case of students, perhaps)
or disingenuous (as in Anne Coulter claiming faggot is "just a schoolyard
taunt")

I didn't get to discuss - but would have liked to - the dilemma of a
school's response to this.  As a linguist, I don't believe in legislating
language.  As an educator, I believe in creating an environment in which
no student feels denigrated.  Clearly, there is a lot of education that
can go on in a classroom about the use of such terms, the ideal solution.
But, having taught high school, I know that the majority of my colleagues
would not undertake such discussions, either out of uncertainty or lack of
interest.  So the schools end up issuing reprimands (as they did in this
case).  But that's certainly not going to alter the established use of
this in teen-age slang = if anything it might reinforce it as subversive.

What do you all think?

Greta

Greta Vollmer
Associate Professor