"That's so gay" controversy

Patrick, Peter L patrickp at essex.ac.uk
Mon Mar 12 16:03:28 UTC 2007

Ron, I'm surprised at you! Surely you are aware of the many meanings of
"white",
and the possibility that the usage might derive from particular
discourse patterns
relating to oil-painting (or is it auto refinishing?) in the Southern
States? Why I'm
surprised at your rash leap of faith to think it might have anything to
do with race!

Historically speaking this is of course nonsense, since the color white
existed for
millennia before slavery, and anyhow haven't we said enough about all
that awful stuff?

In any case I have no position whatsoever on the meaning of "white", and
anyone
who says I do is wrong, except to note that I could probably find lots
of dictionary
definitions if I really tried, and I reckon the more I put in my email,
the better it would
prove my point...
Quit laughing - this is a grave and sombre analysis and the imprecations

for all you straight-men are serious...
            -p-

Prof Peter L Patrick
Dept of Language and Linguistics