"That's so gay" controversy

GABRIELLA MODAN modan.1 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 12 19:27:26 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick, Peter L" <patrickp at essex.ac.uk>
Date: Monday, March 12, 2007 11:03 am
Subject: RE: [Linganth] "That's so gay" controversy

> Ron, I'm surprised at you! Surely you are aware of the many
> meanings of
> "white",
> and the possibility that the usage might derive from particular
> discourse patterns
> relating to oil-painting (or is it auto refinishing?) in the Southern
> States? Why I'm
> surprised at your rash leap of faith to think it might have
> anything to
> do with race!
>
> Historically speaking this is of course nonsense, since the color
> whiteexisted for
> millennia before slavery, and anyhow haven't we said enough about all
> that awful stuff?
>
> In any case I have no position whatsoever on the meaning of
> "white", and
> anyone
> who says I do is wrong, except to note that I could probably find lots
> of dictionary
> definitions if I really tried, and I reckon the more I put in my
> email,the better it would
> prove my point...
> Quit laughing - this is a grave and sombre analysis and the
> imprecations
> for all you straight-men are serious...
>            -p-
>
> Prof Peter L Patrick
> Dept of Language and Linguistics
> University of Essex
> Wivenhoe Park
> Colchester CO4 3SQ, UK
>
> E:  patrickp at essex.ac.uk
> Ph:  +44 (0) 1206 87.2088
> Fax: +44(0) 1206 87.2198
> Web: privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~patrickp

And in regard to John's question about whether 'that's so gay' is related to homosexual gay -- it's not a coincidence that 'that's so gay' means exactly the same thing as 'that's so queer'. (But I would argue actually means something different than 'that's so lame'. It would not make sense to say 'that's so gay' to mean, that's a really lousy excuse.)

Galey