"That's so gay" controversy

Rudolf P. Gaudio rudolf.gaudio at purchase.edu
Mon Mar 12 20:25:26 UTC 2007

I'm glad Galey brought up the pragmatics of 'lame'.  The fact that we've
been using it as a relatively unproblematic translation for 'gay' in its
pejorative sense is ironic to me.  A disabled friend called me on my usage
of it years ago and I've struggled to dislodge it from my lexicon ever
since.

I don't choose to monitor my speech in this way simply because I'm P.C., or
humorless, or a geeky academic.  I do so because when my disabled friend
told me my usage of the word 'lame' was hurtful to her, I believed her.  I
still do use it sometimes--it's widely used in my social circles, which are
almost entirely able-bodied--but I would never try to *defend* my usage as
if my friend's feelings were irrelevant to me.

Re. "that's so gay":  when my brother's kids started using that expression,
he told them not to, because their uncle (me) was gay and it would make me
sad if I heard them using it.  He was right, they stopped using it, and I'm
grateful to all of them.

-Rudi Gaudio

--
Rudolf P. Gaudio