Usage: "Fold in your eggs with the flour"

Maggie Ronkin ronkinm at hotmail.com
Wed May 2 23:07:01 UTC 2007

Dear LingAnth People,

My TA is from Croatia, and is not a linguist but speaks four or five
languages, including English, fluently.  He only has a slight accent in
English and most people, if they detect anything, thinks he speaks a
regional variety of American English with which they (hearers) just aren't
familiar.   My TA's name is Nikola and he comes up with amazing usage
questions.

Nikola's been asking if there's any sort of pragmatic function in the use of
possessive pronouns (which are supposed to emphasize ownership and
relationship) in utterances like "(You) fold in your eggs with the flour".
In casual conversation, we seem to think these uses are associated with
speaking (not writing; I found a government manual that advises on
alternative uses of articles), and perhaps are more common in directives
like our example than in other types of utterances.  In addition,  they may
be viewed as"colloquial", "non-standard", "folksy", and "working class".  I
thought they might be more common in women's speech than in men's--perhaps
emphasizing relationships between speakers and hearers, rather than between
recipients of directives and entities like eggs--but then I remembered that
the person I know who uses the 'your x' form a lot is a heterosexual male
(who has some pragmatic savvy as a seller of medical supplies).  We don't
know if such pos pronouns + nouns are in non-North American Englishes and/or
associated with something about North American culture (Nikola speculates
individualism).

I've goggled to try to find literature on these uses, but haven't come up
with anything.  Can anyone suggest literature or leads on English and even
other languages that would help with the question(s)?

Thanks!
Maggie
maggie.ronkin at gmail.com